Palm Island Coconut Project
In the early days it was called Prune Island, but the island was renamed Palm Island after the original developer John Caldwell planted an abundance of the spectacular coconut “palm” tree on this 135 acre gem. With a maximum of 90 guests when we are full, each guest practically has 1.5 acres for him/herself. Today with over 2,000 coconut trees there are 22 trees per guests! This means that we have an endless supply of the amazing coconut which is simply the most amazing fruit on planet earth.
The versatility of coconut
Every single part of the coconut plant can be utilized:
- Coconut oil is extracted from the mature (white) flesh, an is also used to make an array of dishes.
- The young fruit is full of water which is not only a refreshing drink but full of health benefits (some of which are described below)
Health benefits of coconut water
Coconut water is incredibly healthy and one of the best drinks to hydrate the body. Besides helping to remove toxins from the body and aiding digestion, coconuts have amazing anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties that help to cure the disease. Coconut water is naturally low in Carbs, 99% fat free and low in sugar. It contains organic compounds with properties that are known to help:
- Detoxify and fight viruses.
- Cleanse your digestive tract.
- Control diabetes.
- Aid your body in fighting viruses that cause the flu, herpes, and AIDS.
- Balance your PH and reduce risk of cancer.
- Treat kidney and urethral stones.
- Boost poor circulation.
"It's a natural isotonic beverage, with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. It's the fluid of life, so to speak." In fact, during the Pacific War of 1941-45, both sides in the conflict regularly used coconut water siphoned directly from the nut to give emergency plasma transfusions to wounded soldiers.
More incredible facts about coconut water
- Coconut water is a universal donor. It is identical to human blood plasma.
- Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level that we have in our blood.
- Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world countries thru Coconut IV.
"Coconut water is the very stuff of Nature, biologically Pure, full of Natural Sugars, Salts, and Vitamins to ward off fatigue and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural", according to Mortin Satin, Chief of the United Nation's Food & Agriculture Organization.
- Coconut water has 5mg of Natural Sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of Altered Sugars.
- Coconut water is very high in Chloride at 118mg, compared to sports drinks at about 39mg.
Coconut oil which is made by boiling the liquid extracted from the hard white flesh contains saturated fats such as Palmitoleic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Caproic Acid, Capric Acid, Caprylic Acid, Myristic Acid, and Lauric Acid. These are primarily medium chain fatty acids that are useful in combating energy malnutrition and fatigue. These fatty acids also have anti-oxidizing properties that help counter the effects of aging like macular degeneration and sagging skin.
WITH SO MANY AMAZING HEALTH BENEFITS AND SUCH VERSALITY AND SUCH ABUNDANCE OF COCONUT ON THE PROPERTY, PALM ISLAND SHOULD BE UTILIZING IT TO THE FULLEST.
Palm Island Coconut Programme
Commencing immediately we will start featuring coconut on our daily menus in the following ways:
Each day Tash will supply the kitchen with 24 dried coconut flesh
Chef Baka will do a weekly schedule of coconut items to be featured on the menu, which the pastry department will go by
Below is a list of breakfast, lunch and dinner items featuring coconut from which the chef can select for his weekly rotation.
For breakfast a “coconut treasure basket” will be added to the buffet set-up with the selection for the day
COCONUT ITEMS FOR BREAKFAST
(Some of these are from Jamaica and Sous Chef Loretta know how they are made)
- Coconut waffles/pancakes with shredded coconut topping
- Coconut cup cake
- Coconut raison bread (which they started already)
- Coconut “Rundown with codfish & Dubois can be a featured hot item
Toasted cinnamon coconut w/ brown sugar
Coconut muffin or cup cake
COCONUT ITEMS FOR LUNCH & DINNER
(Appetizer, entrée and dessert items)
- Coconut macaroon
- Coconut fudge (black or white chocolate)
- Coconut “Drops”
- Chocolate cake with coconut
- Coconut cream pie
- Coconut fudge
NB. Coconut items featured on the menu should have noted; “made with Palm Island coconut”
White sugar Grater cake with rose water or mint
Shrimp in coconut rundown sauce
Coconut cream pie
These are just some examples of the vast array of things that can be done with coconut.
SOME SPIN OFFS:
Eventually I plan to bottle and sell fresh coconut water in the boutique
Also to package and sell the various sweets that can be packaged for travel
So it’s over you the Grounds and Kitchen team to make this happen starting tomorrow October 18, 2013.